Skip to main content

Dealing with False abuse claims

False Accusation, safeguarding young people and staff

Does the system protect the vunrable?

When I read this BBC article I was alternatively annoyed, worried, relieved and concerned. Most of all it highlighted the importance of a robust useable safeguarding policy.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16927479#story_continues_2

Most accusations against teachers in Wales are dropped

I was annoyed that teachers are getting their careers ruined by false accusation. Rex Phillips, from NASUWT is quoted in the BBC article as saying.

"It's every teacher's worst nightmare to have a false allegation made against them. Their reputation is damaged and they often find it hard to go back to work, even though they've been completely exonerated.

"We just want teachers to be treated fairly. Once an allegation is made, a teacher is often suspended immediately without even a bit of consideration given to if it can be true or not.

"There's no 'innocent until proven guilty'."

The final sentance hits home for me. My personal sense of justice struggles with the Child Protection norm of "Guilty untill proven innocent". It just doesn't feel right. Yet another way to phrase this is "dangerous untill proven safe". This phrase neatly sums up the rationale behind CRB checks. Treat people as a possible threat untill you know they are safe. I imagine we would have no trouble advising young people to treat a strange dog like this or from working as a first aid instructor I can tell you we teach people to have this suspicious attitude to situation. So maybe this mind sense makes sense but it still feels odd when applied with legal situations. It may be a sad necessary evil of keeping the vulnerable safe.

I was worried by this article because it did awake that personal fear. "What if I had a false alligation made about me?" I think this is a perfectly normal reaction that many teachers and youth workers face. Not only is this fear about what will people think of me but also I love my job and it would be horrible to loose all that on a false accusation.

But I was relieved that this article shows that false malicious accusation are identified. Key to this process must be the school or youth group having a good policy in place. Having accountability and having written records is a primary defence and Why at youth clubs we always have two leaders in each room. No leader should ever be in a room alone with a young person. Firstly to make sure the young people are safe but also to keep everything witnessed. This reduces any chance of false accusations. I suspect that for some cases of false accusations Safeguarding standards might have slipped. This created the opportunity for the false claim.

In my experience working as a youth worker the best way to first respond to a young person making any complaint or expressing a concern is treat them seriously. If it is a real worry they are gratefull it is being treates seriously. If it was a sort of half hearted joke/wind up they back down seeing I am taking it serious. This method has served me well in a number of incidents. Yet it is not a defence against a malicious false claim. These claims are dealt with by maintaining high standards in safeguarding and keeping good records.

Finally, like Keith Towler the Children's Commissioner for Wales, I am concerned stories like this might make it harder for young people to raise concerns. Keith says

"We must not do anything that might undermine the child's right to be heard or deter children with genuine complaints from coming forward."

I especially resonate with the idea of not detering young people from raising concerns. Thousands of young people stay silent about abuse they are suffering. We must not let anything increase this number.

Overall I fell that whilst it is bad/sad that false accusations can happen, it is better then any system which makes it harder for young people to report a crime.

safeguarding, child protection, law, false, accusations, teaching, youth work, justice, abuse, policy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

200 word rpg challenge - entry idea "The labyrinthine library"

For the last few years  David Schirduan  and  Marshall Miller , have run a 200 word rpg challenge . The simple concept is a competition to " Design a role-playing game using 200 words or less ." With a panel of judges going through the dozens and dozens of entries. Reading through previous years entries has inspired me to give it a go. Below is my attempt at writing a simple rpg in 200 words. I would love to hear any thoughts people have after reading it.  The Labyrinthine Library Need  Scrabble tiles, DM & 3-4 players Players are the Arcanist’s assistants. Sent into the labyrinthine library to find a lost spell scroll. The DM makes up a series of challenges. Character creation Characters have 2 HP. Take 2 scrabble tiles. The Letters are your Initials. Make up your names. The numbers give you 2 abilities from list below. 1 = +1HP 2 = nimble 3 = goodshot  4 = brawler  5 = small animal companion (cat/owl/ferret etc) 8 = academic 10 = 1 (DM approved) spell

First attempt at a one page rpg system using dominoes not dice

Restarting blogging this year hasn't gone very well so far but here is something.  I've attempted to write a One page domino based rpg .  I was intrigued by the idea of a domino based rpg after reading about  Macabre Tales   and have heavily imitated their system to attempt to make a one page rpg system myself. I'm sharing this first draft online for feedback for both the rpg system and my attempt to explain the system. Game design is a big personal aim for my 2017 so I am going to try a number of small projects. I have some rpg ideas, board game ideas and card game ideas. This blog seems as good as place as any to share my working progress.

Fishkeeping in a Cambodian Rice Field

Improving subsistence farmers diet with fish husbandry in Cambodia How can a bunch of fish ponds make a real difference? This summer I am travelling around South-East Asia, including Cambodia. In Cambodia I will be visiting some NGOs and  voluntary aid projects . I meet with our main contact this week and most of the work is focused on people projects, teaching English,  prison visits , drug addiction etc but they mentioned one project where they help rice farmers start fish husbandry projects. These projects are designed to help the local subsistence farmers grow on fish to adult size for increasing the protein component of their diet. Being interested in all forms of fish keeping I hope that when we travel to Cambodia I can visit the project or at least meet up with the team managing the project. It sounds like a fascinating and practical way to help some of the worlds poorest improve their diet and economic situation. It was mentioned that the project specifically look