Skip to main content

Another way to damage the marine world

Reading this article I am struck by how easily marine impacts are being ignored. Even within developments that relate to the marine world and explicitly use the sea as a selling point whilst slowly bringing about it's death.


I know that the Arab gulf is not the only place in the world where marine ecosystems are being ruined by development but the rapid development of the mega structures on the coast could have so many unpredictable results. 


Historically it seems that humans have always found it easy to ignore damage in the sea, from dumping waste to the rise of the whaling trade we just love to cause destruction. I believe we find it so easy because we simple have the attitude of out of sight out of mind. 


When we cut down the rainforests it is easy to see, when we create massive landfill sites we see it when we create concrete jungles clogged with pollution we see it. But the waves cover the marine world so that most of us never notice the growing wasteland. Such a simple part of our psyche could have such a large impact. 


The image attached was taken by me in the red sea the first time I went snorkling and I was amazed by the fish I saw and coral I enjoyed. But I noticed the large amount of corals suffering with bleaching even then. My first experience was tinged with sadness but it also opened my eyes to the dangers the marine world is suffering. 



Comments

Rich Turner said…
I too am a keen SCUBA diver and enjoy snorkeling and see the same destruction and pollution that Gareth refers to here. Coral reefs and Sea beds destroyed by drag net fishing and explosion fishing in a number of places around the world, although this is banned in many places - the destruction is already done. However in the deeper oceans over fishing is a major concern.

Imagine if a company were to be request a licence to harvest or catch land based animals by drag net... a huge net dragged through the countryside and forests to catch Grey squirrals (often considered pests) ripping out everything in its path - and argue that they will only keep the grey squirrals and throw everything else back in! Trees, animals, birds, habitats, environment and ecosystems are destroyed.

Small suggestion - never buy shells or corals from shops anywhere - find your own dead ones on the beach. These shops encourage trade in taking living creatures for decoration.

Rich Turner

Popular posts from this blog

200 word rpg challenge - entry idea "The labyrinthine library"

For the last few years  David Schirduan  and  Marshall Miller , have run a 200 word rpg challenge . The simple concept is a competition to " Design a role-playing game using 200 words or less ." With a panel of judges going through the dozens and dozens of entries. Reading through previous years entries has inspired me to give it a go. Below is my attempt at writing a simple rpg in 200 words. I would love to hear any thoughts people have after reading it.  The Labyrinthine Library Need  Scrabble tiles, DM & 3-4 players Players are the Arcanist’s assistants. Sent into the labyrinthine library to find a lost spell scroll. The DM makes up a series of challenges. Character creation Characters have 2 HP. Take 2 scrabble tiles. The Letters are your Initials. Make up your names. The numbers give you 2 abilities from list below. 1 = +1HP 2 = nimble 3 = goodshot  4 = brawler  5 = small animal companion (cat/owl/ferret etc) 8 = academic 10 = 1 (DM approved) spell

First attempt at a one page rpg system using dominoes not dice

Restarting blogging this year hasn't gone very well so far but here is something.  I've attempted to write a One page domino based rpg .  I was intrigued by the idea of a domino based rpg after reading about  Macabre Tales   and have heavily imitated their system to attempt to make a one page rpg system myself. I'm sharing this first draft online for feedback for both the rpg system and my attempt to explain the system. Game design is a big personal aim for my 2017 so I am going to try a number of small projects. I have some rpg ideas, board game ideas and card game ideas. This blog seems as good as place as any to share my working progress.

Fishkeeping in a Cambodian Rice Field

Improving subsistence farmers diet with fish husbandry in Cambodia How can a bunch of fish ponds make a real difference? This summer I am travelling around South-East Asia, including Cambodia. In Cambodia I will be visiting some NGOs and  voluntary aid projects . I meet with our main contact this week and most of the work is focused on people projects, teaching English,  prison visits , drug addiction etc but they mentioned one project where they help rice farmers start fish husbandry projects. These projects are designed to help the local subsistence farmers grow on fish to adult size for increasing the protein component of their diet. Being interested in all forms of fish keeping I hope that when we travel to Cambodia I can visit the project or at least meet up with the team managing the project. It sounds like a fascinating and practical way to help some of the worlds poorest improve their diet and economic situation. It was mentioned that the project specifically look