Skip to main content

Mexican Day of the Dead (repost)


Celebrating the Dead

**An updated, edited re-post from last year**  

If you have never heard of this festival before you can read Wikipedia summary or watch this excellent  BBC documentary on this fascinating festival.  


I tried to read as much as I could about this Mexican tradition and the wider catholic tradition of All Saints and All Souls day. In all my research I was stuck by one over arching idea. Death is not a taboo subject that is feared in Mexico. Death is celebrated as an essential, positive and even humorous part of existence. The festivals seems to have two sides, the remembering of dead relatives (with associated belief of the souls returning to earth) and the celebration of death. Both sides intrigue me but I am hesitant about the belief in souls returning. I am not claiming it is impossible (I think it may be impossible but I'm not certain) I am claiming that the story when King Saul had the Witch of Endor call up the soul of Samuel, (from 1Samuel 28:3–25) makes it clear trying to talk with dead is a bad idea. 

However, I feel Dia de Los Muertos is about remebering and celebrating those who have died before us and this is something that I beleive we could do with more in our culture and community, especially in the western protestant tradition. I think we fear death. Twice in recent years I have been at a Sunday church service where it would have been completely appropriate and suitable to spend time thinking about those who had died but instead of taking time to simply 'remember' the church leader felt the need to ignore death and launch a campaign for peace or interfaith dialogue. I felt let down. Why should we forget those who have died 



Last year I had the privilege of speaking at my Nan's funeral. At over 90 after a full and varied life my nan was happy to move on. The funeral service was an uplifting event where we all got to remember stories from Nan's life and celebrate her life and faith. It was great and a lovely way to say good bye. Sadly with our British attitude to death we may not often again remember her in this way. Scared of upsetting and causing offence people become reluctant to ask questions or even mention her again. This is not universally true but it defiantly happens. 


My Sister, Jayne, died when I was 18 and for years one of the most painful things was people either avoiding me and my family or avoiding even mentioning Jayne's name. I think we don't have any reference points culturally about how or when to talk about and remember the dead. In this vacuum of tradition we end up turning death into this social taboo that should not be named. We run from death and try to ignore it at every corner. 

I believe we have a lot to learn from the Mexican way of celebrating death during Dia de Los Muertos. Their attitude and respect for remembering those who have died create a social time where families can naturally come together in joy. Taking time to think of about the good times with departed family members. I think key to this is a much more light hearted attitude towards death. Something the Mexicans seem to have sorted. 

Let me finish with a quote I heard on a BBC programme about Dia de Los Muertos, I'll let you decide what it means and if it is a good thing for us to say. 


"Life is just a dream, only in death are we fully awake."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

200 word rpg challenge - entry idea "The labyrinthine library"

For the last few years  David Schirduan  and  Marshall Miller , have run a 200 word rpg challenge . The simple concept is a competition to " Design a role-playing game using 200 words or less ." With a panel of judges going through the dozens and dozens of entries. Reading through previous years entries has inspired me to give it a go. Below is my attempt at writing a simple rpg in 200 words. I would love to hear any thoughts people have after reading it.  The Labyrinthine Library Need  Scrabble tiles, DM & 3-4 players Players are the Arcanist’s assistants. Sent into the labyrinthine library to find a lost spell scroll. The DM makes up a series of challenges. Character creation Characters have 2 HP. Take 2 scrabble tiles. The Letters are your Initials. Make up your names. The numbers give you 2 abilities from list below. 1 = +1HP 2 = nimble 3 = goodshot  4 = brawler  5 = small animal companion (cat/owl/ferret etc) 8 = academic 10 = 1 (DM approved) spell

First attempt at a one page rpg system using dominoes not dice

Restarting blogging this year hasn't gone very well so far but here is something.  I've attempted to write a One page domino based rpg .  I was intrigued by the idea of a domino based rpg after reading about  Macabre Tales   and have heavily imitated their system to attempt to make a one page rpg system myself. I'm sharing this first draft online for feedback for both the rpg system and my attempt to explain the system. Game design is a big personal aim for my 2017 so I am going to try a number of small projects. I have some rpg ideas, board game ideas and card game ideas. This blog seems as good as place as any to share my working progress.

Fishkeeping in a Cambodian Rice Field

Improving subsistence farmers diet with fish husbandry in Cambodia How can a bunch of fish ponds make a real difference? This summer I am travelling around South-East Asia, including Cambodia. In Cambodia I will be visiting some NGOs and  voluntary aid projects . I meet with our main contact this week and most of the work is focused on people projects, teaching English,  prison visits , drug addiction etc but they mentioned one project where they help rice farmers start fish husbandry projects. These projects are designed to help the local subsistence farmers grow on fish to adult size for increasing the protein component of their diet. Being interested in all forms of fish keeping I hope that when we travel to Cambodia I can visit the project or at least meet up with the team managing the project. It sounds like a fascinating and practical way to help some of the worlds poorest improve their diet and economic situation. It was mentioned that the project specifically look